Sunday, November 18, 2007

I do NOT believe in eating doughnuts...


Do we have no sense of self preservation? What is it with us eating foods, that while they may taste good, we know that they are going to have an adverse reaction on our body that will last much longer than the flavor of the food ever remained in our mouths...

This is how I feel about the doughnut. Once upon a time I gave up three foods for an entire year. Soda, Potato Chips and Doughnuts. I have similar feelings about all these foods. They taste good (sometimes) but they always leave me with a feeling that I wish I hadn't eaten it. So I figured that if I could just have the willpower to last past the initial temptation, it could be like I already ate the food, but with the bonus lack of regret and stomach ache.

That year however, was not this last year. And while I still manage to not eat doughnuts regularly, I have managed to eat them THREE times in the last month, and never felt good about it afterward. The first were made by Meesh from biscuit dough deep fried -of course- and covered with cinnamon and sugar. They were a great little treat while carving pumpkins ( I say were because you know that I did not just eat one). The second time were the best doughnuts I have ever eaten. They were the creation of Allyson and Dave from the collection of Alton Brown and Good Eats. Wow. I never knew that a doughnut could taste so good. Lets just say that I don't even know how many I ate that night, I just kept eating doughnut holes, so I didn't have to feel bad acknowledging how many entire doughnuts I had eaten. So these delightful ones were the cause of further cravings, resulting in this last indulgence. It was my turn to be in charge of date night , so I surprised Bobby with a trip to the Krispy Kreme Bakery and we came home with a half dozen to accompany our puzzle putting together activity. Needless to say, it was brought to my remembrance, in the middle of out healthy feast and on-coming stomach ache, that I do not believe in eating doughnuts. Thus the vow has been made, I have sworn them off again. (until next October 31st, because I'm pretty sure that Allyson and Dave are going to make their heavenly homemade doughnuts again next Halloween!)

2 comments:

jeanie said...

ooh-ooh-ooh, I am going to have to make doughnuts now, I will see if I can find the Alton Brown recipe... (I totally agree about the yucky feeling afterward, I get that with all fried things...)

Becky Nelson said...

I love Alton Brown. We watch Good Eats all the time. I still have to try the doughnut thing. great blog. Its fun to see your family. Take care Meg's