Tuesday, March 31, 2009

bake me a cake

Sunday night I found myself restless. I was just getting over a cold and thus had been contained in the house a lot, and Sunday the husband found himself with the same cold and many a movies had been watched on our little TV.

I decided it was a good time for me to bake a little bread. After some quick mixing, I found it in the rising stage, and I still had little to do.

I looked around the kitchen in my restlessness, and decided to make a dessert. I thought about brownies, but wasn't motivated. I my eyes fell on the plethora of grapefruits in my fruit bowl. They had been on sale 10 for $1 and snatched up 10. There 8/10 of them still sat.

Don't get me wrong, I like grapefruit, but they take more effort to eat than a grab-n-go fruit, so they often get over looked.

So I googled Grapefruit dessert, checked out my options and found this Grapefruit Meringue cake. It was quite a task, with the cake, custard and meringue, and I'd say the review was fair to good, I'd make some improvements if repeated. But it made for a fun evening, and a mess of a kitchen!



UPDATE: The bread challenge of 2009 is going well so far- we've tried out several recipes and enjoying fresh bread in the house. Still looking for a PERFECT recipe, but we have a favorite and are still trying them out, so if you have a recipe for the running, I'd love to try it out!


7 comments:

Annalisa said...

try honey wheat bread, so far its my favorite. great job trying out a grapefruit recipe.

Jenny said...

Have you tried Sister Jones' recipe??

Amy said...

Wow! You are so domestic! I have never heard of anything made with grapefruit before! Very impressive!

megan... said...

i would love sister jones' recipe! Tiff does she have a whole wheat one? I remember eating that bread growing up!

Melissa Tiek said...

Mmm. Those both look good. We need to come over more often on Sundays and hang out with you guys. :)

Tiffany said...

Hey Megs! My mom does have a white & wheat recipe - let me find it - I'll get back to you!;)

The Meesh said...

First of all, how did I not know about this challenge of yours. I have the best bread recipes in the country, but they're also proprietary. So I'm not going to share them for the whole world to see.

Also, the cake was d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s! Thanks for sharing and allowing me to enjoy Jim Gaffigan with you and your little family.